Beckley, West Virginia   |   304.362.6594   |   Toll Free: 1-800-779-3231

Parental Relocation in Raleigh, Boone, and Kanawha Counties

The Fragile Law Firm in Beckley WV Helps Families with Relocation

Parental relocation is a significant legal topic affecting many families in West Virginia. When couples divorce, one parent or the other may choose to relocate. This occurs most often for the purpose of employment, but there may be other considerations.

Fragile Law Firm helps clients with issues of parental relocation in Raleigh, Boone, and Kanawha counties of West Virginia. Consult with our experienced family law attorneys today by calling (304) 362-6594 or contact us to schedule an appointment.

Best Interests of the Child Matter in Parental Relocation Matters

The West Virginia Code §48-11-403 covers relocation of a parent. It states:

“(1) A parent who has been exercising a significant majority of the custodial responsibility for the child should be allowed to relocate with the child so long as that parent shows that the relocation is in good faith for a legitimate purpose and to a location that is reasonable in light of the purpose.”

A parent seeking to change their residence for more than 90 days must give 60 days advance notice. The notice should include:

“(1) The relocation date;
(2) The address of the intended new residence;
(3) The specific reasons for the proposed relocation;
(4) A proposal for how custodial responsibility shall be modified, in light of the intended move; and
(5) Information for the other parent as to how he or she may respond to the proposed relocation or modification of custodial responsibility.”

Call Us in Raleigh, Boone, & Kanawha Counties
to Speak With Our Attorney

The skilled family law attorneys at the Fragile Law Firm are here to help answer your questions about parental relocation. We can represent you with the court to ensure your relocation plans are within the law. Our office serves residents of Raleigh, Boone, and Kanawha counties with parental relocation matters.